Saturday, June 16, 2007

Got the house to myself tonite...

A rare treat this time of the year, so needless to say, I'm taking advantage of it.

I just finished watching Where the Boys Are? Made me think about my childhood growing up in South Florida. The Elbo Room, where the girls go and get their "hot water and sugar" is where my grandmother worked as a waitress in the late 50's/early 60's. And if you look in the background, when everyone is crowded on the beach, you can see Bahia Mar, where we had our Senior Prom. Which in turn made me download a bunch of songs we jammed out to in High School. Lots of Trinere and Debbie Deb and Expose. What they call nowadays "Old School, Miami Style". Yep, those were the days. LOL!

Oh, and you know those old short films they used to show back in the 30's and 40's? I'm watching one now on TCM and it's about Florida. And the very first scene they show is the Don Cesar! How do you like that???? Now, they are showing Bok Tower and Cypress Gardens.

Dh is reliving his teenage years, tonite as well, as he is at the Rush concert at the Ampitheater. He's so excited. A buddy of his who works at the S/O called and said he may even get him backstage before the show. This guy used to be a truck driver/roadie of theirs back in the 70's. Hope he comes through.

I watched the Daytime Emmys last nite. Can you believe there was a tie for best soap this year? Guiding Light (which totally deserved it) and Young and the Restless (which I rarely watch nowadays, but is super popular right now. Best Actress was Maura West who plays Carly on ATWT. Don't get me wrong, I've loved Carly from the start, she's such a complex character. But, I really did not like the storylines they wrote for her this year. And Reva had been so much this year with the whole breast cancer thing, and Josh and her sis, and Jonathan. I think Kim Zimmer should've won. I guess they wanted didn't want to go Old School. This concludes the Soap Update. :P

And of course, there were several Bob tributes. He won his 19th Emmy, which was great. And CBS was smart enough to replay his last show in primetime. I was going to TIVO it anyway, but I'm glad they showed it. The Brandon guy made it up to stage at the very end and made it to the showcase, but lost. And yes, I sniffed a bit as well.

QVC also had a BE today's special value. And they put it on Easy Pay. So it just had to jump in my cart right? Like I need more make-up, like I need a hole in the head!!! Oh, Elle and Dee, did you know they are opening up a BE boutique in Brandon? Yippeee!!

And here's some hugs to my dear Dee. She's going through a rough time right now, and I hope she can rise above it. She's strong and she's got a great network of friends who are right by her.

And lastly, send some positive energy to our friend Jean, an original Hilltop Girl and Florida Scrapper. She's fighting a new battle, and I know she can rally around it and beat it!

So, that's the news from the front. Have a great weekend.

3 comments:

JulesinParadise said...

Where the Boys Are is one of my top ten oldie movies!

Prayers and good thoughts for our Dee and Jean.

I've never tried BE...should I?

:Jayne said...

I love the Bok Tower and Gardens! I wish I would have seen it!
Prayers to all our Hilltop girls, but especially Jean and Dee!

:J

Denita said...

Mary,
You are too kind! And by the way, we got married at the Bok tower if was fabulous!!
Love ya, Dee