Monday, June 9, 2008

The week(end) that was...

Okay, my all-time favorite reality show (well, really, the only reality show I watch) came back on last night. Ice Road Truckers. It’s all about these guys who drive their big rig trucks and heavy materials over frozen lakes to get equipment to mines and such. This year they are driving across the Arctic Ocean, to some oil drilling sites up near the North Pole. Fascinating stuff, let me tell you. But, my cutie pie Jay isn’t back this season, so that’s a bummer. It’s all old guys this year. Ah well, still entertaining, in a geeky sort of way. (And we all know I’m a big geek at heart).

It was also a sad weekend in the sports world. Jim McKay died at age 86. Another childhood icon is gone. I always remember watching him as a kid, and that little skier guy who took a tumble. You’d think that the guy would get sick of seeing himself fall over and over again every week, but I watched an interview back in the 80’s, I think and he thought it was pretty funny. What a thing to be known for?

Did anyone watch the Belmont? What a disaster that was? All the hype and then the horse comes in last place? The jockey said that it was like there was no horse there, he wouldn’t respond to anything. Makes you wonder....

Finishing up the cruise, our last day was at sea, and we spent most of it just hanging around, checking out all the stuff on board. I made sure to get pictures of everything. One thing I loved was the artwork that is everywhere. My favorite was these glass sculptures near Bolero’s and the Champagne Bar. It reminded me of some of the Chihuly Sculptures I have seen. They must spend big bucks on all this artwork.

I did catch one of the Parades they do in the Promenade a couple times during the week. I wouldn’t call it a parade, but more of everyone in costumes dancing around. But it was cute, I’d do it again.


And we saw the Ice Show one night. That was really good, too. They did a really good job, I was impressed. Still, the Dick Button in me still wants to critique everything, LOL! (Oh, you two-footed that landing, Ut-Oh, that should have been a double instead of a single). But, considering the space they have to work with, and we had some bumpy nites, sea-wise, they did a good job. Another neat spot (again for the geeky) is the "peek-a-boo" deck, out near the pool area, where you can actually see the bridge and check out all the goings on.
Yes, our last two nights at sea were pretty rough, but nothing I couldn’t handle. It was kind of neat watching the seas and the weather off in the distance. The rockin’ kind of helps you go to sleep.

So, now we’re back to reality. Ahhhh...I’m ready for another vacation.

Oh, and of course, if you haven't had your fill of pictures...Here's all of them

1 comment:

Michele L from Tampa said...

looks like you did have a blast - even though you were not with us or we were not with you. That Labadee place looked nice.