Monday, May 5, 2008

Derby Day

This is actually the first Kentucky Derby I've missed in the last several years. I was down in Ruskin with the Hilltop girls, cropping and having fun. To tell you the truth, I'm actually glad I missed it. How heartbreaking to lose a horse like that.

I'm an animal lover in general, but I do love horses. One of my "win the lotto" dreams is to own a horse or two (or three or more...). And my grandmother hails from Kentucky, and my grandfather owned several horses on his farm when I was little. And yes, I have the obligatory "on top of the horse" pic. that my mom took when I was about 3 months old. So Derby Day has always been kind of a special event in our house.

DH told me what happened when I got home Saturday nite. I wished he hadn't. I ended up with bad dreams. But I guess he figured I'd see it on the news eventually anyway, which I did. The experts are saying that all these injuries are a result of breeding. Too many muscles on top, and too skinny legs on the bottom to support all that extra muscle. It's so sad, really. I thought science was to improve on something, not make it worse? Well, I really don't know too much, just my (very) novice opinion. But it is something I think I will study more on.

I'm playing hooky today. Well, not really. I've felt under weather for the last few days. An earache, some post-nasal stuff, aches and pains, fatigue. DH made me go to the walk-in clinic today. He's worried I'll have some kind of disease and they won't let me on the boat. Diagnosis? Bad Allergies. I went with DH to Bananas on Friday, which is really just an old warehouse off 22nd Ave. I think I got overwhelmed by the all the dust and mildew and probably mold too. The smell hits you when you first walk in the door. So, at least I don't have any bugs, which I guess is good. I got a script for Flonase and picked up some Zyrtec and went on my way.

Had a real fun time at Hilltop. I worked on my Bo-Bunny album I bought in Sarasota, and it looks really cute. Got to see most of the gang, of course. I laughed so hard at Kip, who thought for sure that someone stole her magnets. How funny.

Well, I'm going to go lay in bed and watch movies the rest of the day.

3 comments:

Kip said...

hope you feel better Mary. Allergies are a pain, literally.
I couldn't even read about that horse..too sad.

eljay716 said...

I hope you feel better soon. Poor Mar.. glad it was only allergies, Sammy was right to have you get checked out. I know the horse was horrible, what a sad thing. love ya..

JulesinParadise said...

Sure hope you are feeling better by now!

signed
"the somebody Kip thought took her magnets"