Friday, January 23, 2009

This week...

Well, here I am. It’s been a long hard week, probably one of the longest. DH’s grandmother passed away around 5pm last Friday. Her whole family was with her when she went. She was laid to rest on Tuesday.

I have such a feeling of emptiness now. I’m sure it’s magnetized times 10 for DH and 100 for his grandfather. I’ve lost a loving family member, my gossip buddy, and my language teacher all rolled into one. It hurts…for now…but if there’s anything I’ve learned in this short time on earth, it is perseverance. We go on. We have to. If we don’t, we wilt away ourselves. And that’s not what our loved ones would have wanted for us.

So life goes on. You live it to the fullest. Everyday is a gift. Yes, I know I’m full of clichés. That’s pretty common at a time like this.

So the theme of the day…Appreciate your gifts:
-Loving family and friends who are just like family. (You know who you are.)
-Being relatively healthy and able to go out and enjoy the world.
-An ability to appreciate humor in everything. (Yes, even this. Because I know darn good and well, I’m being cussed out from above for spending way too much time on this!)
-The ability to live comfortably. Okay, I know the whole “money doesn’t buy happiness.” No, it doesn’t. But I’m grateful for the fact that we do have decent jobs, especially in this economy, and that we have a roof over our heads and food on the table. We’re not struggling day to day. I remember some lean years growing up. And I think I’ve worked hard to ensure that I won’t have to live like that any more.
-And lastly, to know that we can enjoy the beauty in the world. A flower growing, a child laughing, a kitten purring, a tropical sunset. All these things are beauty, in their own right.

I’m usually not one for maudlin or sentimental gush. My style is more sarcastic or dark humor. You regulars know that. But to quote an all-time favorite movie: “Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” (Bonus points for the person who can tell me the movie!) :P

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?

Thanks for the reminder about the important things in our lives. You and your family will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers as you adjust to life without this special person.

Unknown said...

Thanks Elizabeth. That means alot to me.

eljay716 said...

Hi Mar Mar.. glad you are back. Cliches say it just perfectly.

:Jayne said...

Sorry for the loss of your grandmother, yes she was yours too, hugs to you.
It's times like this we are full of cliches, but we realize how we do have look at the little blessings in life that help us move on at a time like this.
Can't wait to see you, soon!