Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The End of an Error

I’m very happy with the election returns. It’s a new day for us, and I am extremely proud. And the turnout was spectacular. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it so high!

My precinct (the Lutz Mason Lodge) early in the morning had a line wrapped twice around the building, and cars parked a half mile down the road. The little Baptist church down the road was just as bad. When I got home last night, the church still had cars parked on the median, and lines out the door, but the lodge had calmed down some, and I was in and out in about 15 minutes, even got a chance to chat with my neighbor Bill for a minute or two.

There can never be an election day in Florida without some snags, especially in Hillsborough County. Computer issues, people not getting all their pages, extremely long lines, especially at USF where there were only 2! Poll workers. Their excuse was “well, we figured all the students would be voting by absentee.” I call Bullshit!!!

2 reasons:
1) They should know ahead of time which ballots they receive absentee. Case in point, one of my Drunco girl’s family’s names were right below mine on the ballot. And it clearly said under her step-daughter’s name “absentee ballot.”
2) This is one the most historic elections in history, and a first time for a lot of these kids. (My first presidential election was in ’92 at USF, btw.)

And then I hear there was a physical confrontation with Buddy Johnson’s staff and some of the news people? WTF? How’s that for public relations? DH says he wished they voted for the Supervisor of Elections AFTER the election, because he would be changing his vote.

Amendments 1 and 2 didn’t pass unfortunately. And the County Mayor’s veto DID! I’m sorry I can only blame most of this on one thing. Ignorance. Pure and simple. The ballots are complicated, they are written in legalese and in our wham-bam society no one takes the time to look at the actual issues involved.

Amendment 2 not passing doesn’t surprise me. Ignorance, fear. Just about every church in town was pushing this on their members. (so much for churches being neutral). Dh also feels that the opposing side didn’t really do as much to educate their side of the issue. Now my question is, will this be up again in a few years? I’d like to think I hope so. But I’ll say this one final time for today: KEEP RELIGION OUT OF POLITICS! IT HAS NO PLACE!

1 comment:

eljay716 said...

Oh I didn't vote for Johnson! I didn't like the way he used his office to flood the mail with "election" news with his name plastered all over it right before the election he happens to be running for reelection in. Misuse of office if I ever heard of it. And the amendents.. so confusing no if you want it changed yes if you don't. Makes no sense unless you have taken the time to do "your homework". I took a piece of paper with me so I wouldn't screw up in the booth.
oops sorry so long..we think alike!